It looks as if private blogs like this have a half life. After I began running a blog 5 or 6 years in the past, I discovered from some buddies who have been energetic bloggers. A few of them are not within the weblog recreation. I began this weblog to doc my fiftieth birthday and the rides I did that 12 months. Prior to now 12 months or two, nonetheless, I’ve posted much less. Blame covid or the state of the world, or apathy or burnout or no matter. I’m nonetheless biking and I’m nonetheless getting some guests, so I don’t plan on discontinuing.
Now that it’s summer season, I believed it might be a good suggestion to weblog about my present headspace as regards to biking. I’ll embody some highlights from the final six months and a few extra philosophical ideas about life on (and off) the bicycle.
- Up to now, I’ve cycled about 1000 km open air in 2022. This features a single journey on my street bike (extra on that to come back), and a number of rides on each my journey bike and my fats bike. Right here’s my native heatmap for 2022!
- Whereas I loved my winter rides on my fats bike, winter driving is difficult on bicycles. Chains, cassettes and derailleurs all get moist and salty and the bikes take a beating. My fats bike is due for an overhaul earlier than subsequent winter!
- My single street journey was this month. I’m at all times amazed at how gentle and quick my street bike is. However I arrange the geometry on that bike 10 years in the past, once I was fitter and extra versatile. That geometry may be very totally different from my journey bike, with a decrease handlebar setup and longer attain. Consequently, my neck and again have been very sore after a couple of half hour on this street machine, to the purpose the place I needed to go away the group and limp house. I’ll want to regulate the geometry on my street bike if I determine to journey it extra on the roads.
- With the world slowly opening up, I’ve been capable of get a number of extra group rides in. This features a weekend of gravel driving close to Collingwood earlier this month. I used to be in a gaggle of 8 who did a two-day lite model of the “No Winter Upkeep” (NWM) route. We principally did the north loop of the the NWM route over two days, or about 70 km every day.
- Rides like our NWM journey have made me notice that my expertise on a journey isn’t simply in regards to the route and surroundings; it’s in regards to the individuals. I’ve written beforehand about how covid pressured me into extra solo rides, which I’ve grown to take pleasure in. Nevertheless, driving with the suitable group has renewed my ardour for group rides. I are typically fairly choosy about with whom I journey, and it’s all in regards to the group mindset. I like a extra relaxed tempo, social, with snack breaks. There might be instances when match people wish to journey sooner, however we at all times regroup at a cease signal or the highest of a hill. If you happen to’ve ridden with me, you already know what I imply, and I thanks for the corporate!
- I’ve acquired some merchandise to write down opinions about in forthcoming blogs
- As I’ve talked about, I’ve been doing plenty of metropolis driving as I discover trails and paths in Kitchener-Waterloo. I’ll weblog about that too and I’ll publish a route I’m engaged on that’s near 100 km in KW!
- Listed here are some 2022 biking pictures. The primary three are from NWM weekend. The subsequent two are from solo rides!